Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I love every thing that is old; old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines.

From She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith. The play was performed for the first time at Covent Garden Theatre, London on March 15th, 1733
http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/Quotes.html

Dear Uncle,

In keeping with my intent to pay more attention to the Irish side of the family I've been poking around the internet looking for some historical perspective.  Per usual I have ended up all over the internet because there are just so many interesting things. 

I happened upon the quote above and decided that if I had to describe what I love about Genealogy it would be that it is old, my ancestors become my old friends, I am fascinated by the old times, I appreciate the old manners ( and I miss them), I LOVE old books and the taste of old wines. I love old architecture, old cities and streets and old maps. And history...I love history, the history of persons and places and things.

I think that I am not the only family historian who thinks that way.

I now have a roadmap to follow with the Irish side.  I may not know precisely where my folk came from but there is enough history to tell a tale or two and paint a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment